Thursday, September 30, 2010

Are You Too Busy For God?


       

      
        
          God spoke to me.... As usual, I was complaining about not hearing Him. Then I clearly heard Him say "Slow down." I told Him, "Not now, I'm too busy." Then He said, plainly and simply, "Always too busy for me." How true that is. It struck me to the heart.. How often have I rushed from school to work, to homework and never think about scooching in time for the Creator of the day. It is only by Him that I am even alive and kicking today.          
    
         (By the way, I was asked what scooching means. I guess it's a southern word. When someone tells you to "scooch" over, they mean to move over. Just a side note.)
         
          What's the definition of busy, anyway? Are you truly busy? Are you "busy" doing things that don't matter or are you "busy" with things that are important? The freedictionary.com defines busy as "crowded with or characterized by activity". Is it pointless activity?
         
          How often do I go to facebook for a quick ten minute check? How often do I stop to talk to people on the way back to my dorm? Those idle minutes can be spent doing something for His kingdom. I can be talking with the one who gave me life.
         
          I encourage you to make a list of things you do in a day and how long you spend on it. What do you normally do? I know that everyday is different. However, there are things that we do on a daily basis.

Here's an example:
         1) Read Bible- 15 Minutes
         2) Recreational reading- 1 hour
         3) T.V.or movie- 2 hours
         4) Hang out with friends- 3 hours
         5) Computer- 1 hour
       
         That's just an example. Write your own list and be honest. You don't have to show anyone. The first step to change is being honest with yourself.
        
         Notice that the amount of time you spend with Jesus (in this list, anyway) is only a fourth of an hour? Sometimes I don't even read my Bible at all in a day, to be honest with you. I struggle with it, as well. I always reflect on my day (unconsciously) to see if I actually accomplished anything. I notice that when I don't take time for Jesus, my day doesn't feel quite as accomplished.
        
         Now, after you make this list, begin making a list of everything you've done that day. It sounds like a lot of work, yes. You don't have to do it everyday. Pick a day out of the week that you feel is most like the others. (For example, I wouldn't choose a Sunday because I go to church in the mornings. I don't go to church every morning. I wouldn't choose a Saturday because I usually spend that day with family or friends. I don't get the chance to do that often.) As you make the list, like I said, be completely honest. If you spent three hours on the computer, write it down. You'll be amazed at how much time you could have spared for something worth while.
       
        "How can a young man keep his way pure? By living according to Your word. I seek You with all my heart; do not let me stray from Your commands. I have hidden Your word in my heart that I might not sin against You. Praise be to You, O Lord; teach me Your decrees. With my lips I recount all the laws that come from Your mouth. I rejoice in following Your statues as one rejoices in great riches. I meditate on your precepts and consider Your ways. I delight in Your decrees; I will not neglect Your word." (Psalm 119:9-16)
       
        Keeping in touch with friends is important! Don't isolate yourselves from the world. However, spending time with God is more important. He is your source of life. You will be spending eternity with Him (if you've made the decision to accept Him.) As you realize how much spare time you could have if you cut out the things that aren't important, you'll realize that you're not really "busy" after all!
       
        How awesome is that? That God would even CARE to listen to me? That He would love me so much to bless me with small things in life. And yet I continue to skip out on time with Him. He deserves to be jealous, doesn't He? You wouldn't want your creation to claim to have created itself and to be completely self dependent. Same thing with us, we NEED Him. Plain and simple.
       
        "But his delight is in the law of the Lord, and on His law He meditates day and night. He is like a tree planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in season and whose leaf does not wither. Whatever he does prospers." (Psalms 1:2-3)

Dear Jesus,
I'm sorry for not putting You first in my life. Help me to prioritize my time so that I'm accomplishing something throughout the day. Help me to put You first. As I lean on You, I won't feel so engulfed with a list of things I think I have to do in a day. This life is for You, Lord. It's not for me. Help me to do things to further Your Kingdom, not my own.
In Your Healing Name,
Amen.

2 comments:

  1. I say I don't have time but whether I want to admit it or not, the truth is that sometimes I just don't want to. When you say it straight out like that..wow...then you know something is wrong. Because when we meet with God frequently, we actually *want* to keep coming. I feel so wonderful after having a talk with God. I just need to make sure I don't go to Him only in the bad times. Thanks for writing! ♥ Beth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! This is exactly how I feel! And no problem. I love writing and I absolutely love feedback. thank you Beth! (:

    ReplyDelete