Tuesday, August 30, 2011

I Am More than a Conqueror


Romans 8:37 says “No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us.” This verse seemed to pop out at me as I read it last week. I have always been perplexed by it. Don’t we all desire to be conquerors? It isn’t a bad thing to be a conqueror! However, we are MORE than conquerors! If it is a fantastic thing to be a conqueror, think of how amazing it is to be more than one!

So, what is more than a conqueror? I asked this question a while back. God revealed the answer to me this summer but He re-emphasized it last week. We are children of God: children of the King of Kings. Don’t stop short of just being a conqueror; know that you are a child of the most high God.

When we think of a conqueror, we think of praise and adoration. Perhaps the King showers them with gifts. However, a child of the King is brought in. Not only are they praised, but they are also loved. A conqueror has to work to earn approval from the king; a child of the king already has it. A child of the king is part of the family no matter what he does.

Romans 8:14-17, “because those who are led by the Spirit of God are sons of God. For you did not receive a spirit that makes you a slave again to fear, but you received the Spirit of sonship. And by Him we cry, ‘Abba, Father.” The Spirit Himself testifies with our spirit that we are God’s children. Now if we are children, then we are heirs—heirs of God and co-heirs with Christ, if indeed we share in His sufferings in order that we may also share in His glory.”

How are we living? Are we living as children of God or merely conquerors? Or are we living as slaves? We don’t have to earn approval from God. As His children, we already have it! Christianity is about the DONE, not about the DO.

John 15:15 says, “I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master’s business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you.” When a servant asks the king what He’s doing or where He is going, do you think the king goes into detail? No. Most likely he says, “Why do you have to know? You’re only my servant. You do as I say.” However, if it is a friend of the king, he will reply with more detail. Jesus calls us friends! Do you consider yourself as merely a slave? You are a friend of God! He wants you to know Him.

Don’t try so hard to earn your Father’s approval. He loves you just as you are. Nothing you do can make Him love you any more or any less. He loves you just as much as He loved Mother Teresa. He loves the murderers and thieves just as much as He loves you. We cannot begin to understand His love for us because it is infinite, unconditional, and unexplainable.

One day God gave me a vision. I was about three years old and I was playing on the beach in a white dress. I was twirling around and dancing. I turned around to say, “Daddy, watch me!” As I turned around in the vision, it was Jesus standing there. He said, “I am watching you.” How wonderful it is to know He cares! I always felt like my biological dad didn’t care what I was doing (unless it was something that deserved punishment). Jesus let me know that He cared for me all along. Children need affirmation. Jesus gives that. He showed that to me in the vision. Are you listening to the voice of Jesus? He is speaking to you. He speaks words of love. Even if He rebukes, it is all done in love.

Don’t underestimate yourself. You are a child of a powerful God. Don’t put yourself down. You don’t have to work for His love. You are more than a conqueror. You are more than a slave. You are His child. You are His friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment