Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Personal Commission


This article ties on with my previous article, “I Am More than a Conqueror”. If you want to get the most out of this subject, I strongly suggest reading them in order.

            If you’re a child of the King, where do you live? If you want to make a big impact for your kingdom, you go into the city, right? Remember the last Queen of France, Marie Antoinette? She was so oblivious that when the citizens complained that they had no bread, she exclaimed, “Let them eat cake!” As children of the King of Kings, we are called to go out and bring news of His Kingdom to those who haven’t seen or heard of it.

He commissions us out to do unique tasks especially created for us to do. God has commissioned you to something while you are here on earth. Are you doing what God has commissioned you, or are you commissioning yourself? Sure, you may want to be a pastor, but what if God doesn’t want you to do that? Sometimes we see things that we want to do and we do it without asking God what He wants us to do.

If He hasn’t equipped you to be a leader, then don’t step up for a leadership position. You may need training before you step up for a leadership position. Effective leaders are those who are humble.

(Side note) If you feel God calling you to be a leader, you may go through a stage of humbling. I know I have! I have known for a while that I’m naturally a leader. However, a couple years ago when I wanted to step up to leadership positions, there was always something blocking the way. I was frustrated. However, I am so glad God showed me that I needed to mature and be trained before I stepped up for a leadership position! Now, I can be a more effective leader because He has brought me to a place of humbling and He has taught me who I’m really living for: Him. Therefore, don’t be discouraged if you don’t have leadership opportunities right now. God is preparing you for the future so you will be able to step up.

We all have our places especially made for us. He is calling you to have BIGGER dreams. You will see your dreams fulfilled if you will have faith. Hebrews 11 is full of the heroes of faith. They stepped out in faith and did great things for God’s Kingdom. He has reserved a place just for you and no once can take that place unless you refuse to take it. Then God will send someone else.

Here’s an activity I’d like you to participate in. Grab a piece of paper and a pen. Now, I’m going to ask you a question: What do you think Jesus’ mission was while He was here on earth? We know He came to save us, but what do you view His personal mission was here on earth?

Did you write it down? If you’re a bit confused, let me explain what my answer was: to heal the hurting and defeat the devil. Whatever your answer is, most likely it is the passion God has placed upon your heart. Maybe this is what God wants you to do with your life. I have always had a passion to help the hurting. I also have a passion to kick the devil’s butt. [I apologize for those of you who aren’t allowed to say the word butt. ;)] Think about what you answered. Pray about it. See where God may be leading you with your passions and desires.

(By the way, a girl at AFLBS asked this question during devotions, so do not credit this question to me. She said someone asked her this question, so I don’t know who to credit it to. Let’s just credit it all back to God!)

            Matthew 28:18-20 explains the Great Commission, “Then Jesus came to them and said, ‘All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”

This is the commission for all believers. We are to have a passion for the lost. Jesus wants to take us a step further than our comfort zone. He wants to push us further than what we have dreamed of for our lives because He knows what we are truly capable of. He loves the lost. Do we? Do we love them enough to desire to go out and desire to help the lost get found? Are we allowing Jesus to show us what He has commissioned us to do? Or are we too scared that He will push us too far outside of our comfort zone?

No comments:

Post a Comment