Wednesday, November 23, 2011

What Makes You, You?

What makes you, you? We're all unique. What do you like to do?

I work almost everyday. I go to school Monday through Friday. In my spare time, I study. Friends text me asking if I want to go out. I can't. It's depressing, but it's reality.

I can't find time for a "Girls' Night Out", but why can't I set aside at least an hour a week for myself? An hour to allow myself to strengthen the talents I have. Sometimes I groan to God, "What talents do I have? What makes me special? I don't feel special." It's an insult to Him. He's give me so much and what do I do with what He's given me? They seem to go to waste because instead of using my time wisely to glorify Him, I'm lying around doing things that don't even benefit myself, others, or (ultimately) God.

I really wanted to write mainly about this tonight because I've been feeling so dry. I know it has a lot to do with the fact that I'm not praying as much as I used to, but it also has a lot to do with the fact that I'm not using the talents God has given me. I used to play the piano everyday. I haven't played in months. I think that when we allow ourselves to thrive in the areas God intended us to, we thrive on the inside as well. True joy is found in Christ. When we are allowing His love to pour out through us into the abilities He has bestowed on us, true joy will flow through us and others will most certainly see it.

I love drawing. I love playing guitar. I love song-writing. I love piano. I love writing. These are the things I plan on trying my best, my everything to make time for because when I allow time for myself, I can pour more of myself (and Christ) into everyone else. Then, I won't be doing it out of obligation. I'll do it because of the joy in my heart. I truly do believe that thriving in your talents will bring you joy.

What do I enjoy? I love hanging out with friends, but when events in life don't allow for that to happen, there are other things I enjoy just as much. I love walks in the evening. Most people don't know that because I never take time for it. I love staring up at the stars. I discover things about myself when I'm outside. I feel closer to God.

God knows you. Even when you don't know who you are, He knows you. He knows what thrills you. He knows what upsets you. Trust Him. He gave you the talents and abilities for a specific purpose. What are you doing with what He's giving you? He made you unique. Are you attempting to discover what  those particular unique qualities are? Are you allowing your spirit within you to thrive? Or are you silently pushing it down because you're "too busy" or afraid of the unknown?

Don't let amazing opportunities slip from your grasp because you aren't looking. You're only in the race if you're running. Where are you? Are you in the sidelines, or are you running this race? Are you afraid to attempt to run because you think you're not good enough? Where will that get you? What's the worst that can happen when you try? You're not a loser. You're a winner because of Christ. He's already won this race for you. The victory lives within you. Are you living out the victory? Are you living a fulfilled life?

No comments:

Post a Comment