Friday, April 13, 2012

Be Set Apart

Goodness I haven't written anything in a while. It's kind of depressing.

I've been thinking a lot about how Jesus calls us as Christians to be set apart. So often I find myself justifying my aactions because i see my other Christian friends doing the same. Should I allow them to be my example? Ultimately, Jesus should be the one leading and guiding me.

Matthew 5:8 says, "Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God." (Matthew 5:8) Am I pure in heart? Am I even seeking to be pure in heart? Does my heart want to see God? "But if from there you seek the Lord your God, you will find Him if you look for Him with all your heart and with all your soull." (Deuteronomy 4:28) (Emphasis, mine) Am I seeking Him with all of my heart and soul?

God is searching over all the earth for someone who is fully dedicated to Him. Will His eyes be pleased as they land on my heart? Will He see dedication? Or will He see a lukewarm heart, pulled by a desire to seek the world while attempting to serve Him? He wants us to fully dedicate not only our lives, but our hearts, souls, and minds as well to Him.

He has a greater purpose for our lives than this world can comprehend or offer. He has our best interests at heart. He knows our weaknesses, and puts up with us anyway. What greater love than this? What greater patience? He deserves our dedication. He lived His life and died for us, how much more can we give to Him but our hearts and lives? He deserves it.

As the end times grow closer, it will become incredibly necessary to set ourselves apart from the world. We need to stand up for Christ now. If we can't now, how will we be able to when the issue of persecution is stronger? We have to be ready. Prepare your hearts. Purify your hearts. Be set apart. Dedicate your hearts and lives to Him, the author of your very soul.

Here's a challenge to help purify yourselves:
I've recently given up listening to secular songs that discourage me. Not all secular songs are bad. Some uplift me. The Fray are on my list of inspiring bands. I'll put up a list of recommended songs later. My challenge to YOU is to go through your iPod and write down a list of songs you have that don't encourage you. Party songs are great, but do they edify your spirit? That should be our ultimate goal. I'm throwing away a few CD's that I feel aren't edifying. (Such as my Florence + the Machine CD and yes, Foster the People, unfortunately. But, I've made myself a promise.)

Also, I've been carefully digesting the movies I watch as well. Oh be careful little eyes what you see. What you see can forever be embedded in your mind, memories, and affect how you view things in the future. Don't watch things that glorify the devil.

Watch your speech as well. It's easy to talk like everyone else but do you realize that claiming you are a Christian automatically sets you up for being placed under a microscope? People will want to see where you are different. This includes how you speak, how you encourage others, and even how you joke.

Be careful with your thoughts as well. Soon, your thoughts become your words and your words become actions.

No comments:

Post a Comment